This is a four-week course with a fixed start date and includes 12 months of access to the online learning material.
This introductory level wine certification course teaches students through sight, smell, and taste to understand more about wine. By the end of the online course, you’ll be able to taste wine using a systematic approach to tasting and be able to identify the main styles of wine. You’ll also learn the fundamental principles of food and wine pairing and be able to apply these to your food and wine choices.
As you work through the online course, you will be submitting your homework assignments with your online instructor. Tasting is an essential part of studying for this course, and you will need to taste a range of wines, and the list of recommendations can be found inside your online class.
There is no previous wine knowledge necessary to enroll in this course. This online class is specially designed for:
- Those in the retail, hospitality, or wholesale areas of the wine industry wishing to with little wine knowledge looking to obtain greater knowledge and professional certification from a trusted internationally-recognized organization.
- Wine enthusiasts wanting an introduction to the main styles of wine available.
- Front-line staff and/or anyone wanting basic product knowledge and skills in the storage and service of wines.
- Anyone wanting to learn how to taste and access wines professionally.
To obtain the WSET Level 1 Award Certificate in Wine, you will need to successfully pass an in-person exam that is made up of 30 multiple-choice questions. You have 12 months from the start of your course in which to schedule your EXAM, which can be taken in Guyana.
- Module 1: What is Wine & How is it Made?
- Module 2: Types and Styles of Wine
- Module 3: Introduction to Tasting
- Module 4: Grape Varieties & Wines
- Module 5: Storage & Service of Wines
- Module 6: Pairing Food & Wines
- Module 7: Revision
Includes 1 year of course access.
Interactive video-guided tasting sessions
- During the course, students have access to the video that guides them through an introduction to tasting wine as well as the principles of pairing wines with food.
- Students are given a list of recommended wines to try and submit their tasting notes to the online instructor for feedback.
Access to highly trained and qualified expert instructors
- You will work through the online modules under the watchful eye of our expert instructors that are available to answer your questions.
- Instructor support.
- A weekly quiz is provided at the end of each week for students to practice for the exam and assess their understanding of that week’s topics.
- Independent tasting activities are also provided to familiarize students with the Systematic Approach to Tasting at a beginner level.
- 30 question mock-exam to prepare you for the actual in-person exam.
- One exam credit
- As this course is taught online, students will require access to a computer with the following minimum requirements:
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent. Adobe Flash Player 11. Internet access (broadband recommended).